In D Beat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIONS DT NDAMUKONG SUH NAMED ASSOCIATED PRESS DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Go down

LIONS DT NDAMUKONG SUH NAMED ASSOCIATED PRESS DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR  Empty LIONS DT NDAMUKONG SUH NAMED ASSOCIATED PRESS DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Post  Admin Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:01 am

LIONS DT NDAMUKONG SUH NAMED ASSOCIATED PRESS DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR  Bilde?Site=C4&Date=20110204&Category=SPORTS01&ArtNo=102040408&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0

Detroit Lions DT Ndamukong Suh was named the Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year. Suh became the seventh rookie in team history to win an AP Rookie of the Year award, which is the most by any franchise since the AP began honoring Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1967.

“It is a great honor and one of the highest honors I can receive on the defensive side of the ball,” said Lions DT Ndamukong Suh. “I really, truly can’t thank my family, friends, teammates and coaches enough. They have been a huge part of it and the main reason I was able to be honored with this.”

Suh joins RB Mel Farr (1976), CB Lem Barney (1967), WR Earl McCullough (1968), DE Al “Bubba” Baker (1978), RB Billy Sims (1980) and RB Barry Sanders (1989) as Detroit Lions honored as AP Rookie of the Year. Suh is the third Lions’ rookie to be named AP Defensive Rookie of the Year and the first since Baker in 1978.

Since the AP Rookie of the Year Award was first established in 1967, Suh is only the sixth defensive tackle to win the honor and the first since Dolphins DT Tim Bowens in 1994.

Most AP Rookie of the Year Awards

Rk Team No
1 Detroit 7
2 Pittsburgh 6
3t Minnesota 5
3t New England 5
3t Tennessee 5
Detroit Lions AP Rookie of the Year
Player Year Pos Award
Lem Barney 1967 CB Defense
Mel Farr 1967 RB Offense
Earl McCullouch 1968 WR Offense
Al Baker 1978 DE Defense
Billy Sims 1980 RB Offense
Barry Sanders 1989 RB Offense
Ndamukong Suh 2010 DT Defense

All-Time AP Defensive Rookie of the Year – Defensive Tackles
Player Pos Year
Joe Greene Pit 1969
Wally Chambers Chi 1973
Bill Maas KC 1984
Dana Stubblefield SF 1993
Tim Bowens Mia 1994
Ndamukong Suh Det 2010

SUH’S THOUGHTS ON ROOKIE SEASON, STAYING HUMBLE AND THE SUPER BOWL EXPERIENCE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On his rookie season and accolades:
“It has definitely been incredible. I compare it to my senior year at Nebraska, being able to go on those award tours and being up for the Heisman. Even though I didn’t win, it was an honor to be there. This is the same type of situation. I am really just soaking it in. It is eye opening. I feel truly blessed. I can’t thank my family, friends and teammates enough.”

On what he attributes to staying humble and grounded:
“That truly comes from my parents, both of them coming from a humble background -- my dad, Cameroonian, and my mom, Jamaican. We grew up in households that never took anything for granted -- I always knew I had to work for everything. You can’t get anywhere without hard work and, obviously, a helping hand from other people.

On his experience at the Super Bowl and appreciation of the League’s championship game:
“Everybody watches this game from the U.S. to Asia to Russia. It is huge. It is something that everyone’s eyes are going to be on during the big day. I would love for me and my teammates to be in the Super Bowl and win it in the near future -- maybe next year, you never know.”

SUH’S POST-SEASON ACCOLADES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AP Defensive Rookie of the Year caps off a month that included many post-season accolades. In all, Suh won major honors that were voted on by fans, media, players, coaches and executives.

Pepsi Rookie of the Year

•Suh became the first defensive player to be named Pepsi Rookie of the Year in the nine-year history of the award. He is also the first Lions’ player to win Pepsi Rookie of the Year.
•Pepsi Rookie of the Year is determined via fan voting on NFL.com.
•He was also voted Pepsi Rookie of the Week for Week 8 of the NFL season.
Associated Press All-Pro Rookie Defensive Tackle

•As a rookie, Suh was named to Associated Press All-Pro Team. He is the first rookie defensive tackle to be named to the AP All-Pro Team since the recognition was designated by offense and defense in 1951, and he is the first rookie defensive linemen to be named AP All-Pro since Titans DE Jevon Kearse in 1999.
•He joined RB Doak Walker (1950), DE Al “Bubba” Baker (1978), K Eddie Murray (1980) and RB Barry Sanders (1989) as the only Lions’ rookies named to AP All-Pro Team, with Suh and Baker as the only Lions’ defensive players.
•The AP All-Pro Team is determined by a nationwide panel of 50 members of the media who regularly cover the NFL.
Sporting News Honors Suh

•The Sporting News named Suh the Rookie of the Year and placed him on the All-Pro Team and All-Rookie Team. He was one of two rookies named to Sporting News’ All-Pro Team.
•Sporting News All-Pro Team was selected by a panel of 50 NFL coaches and executives. Rookie of the Year was voted on by 617 NFL players, coaches and executives. All-Rookie team was selected by a panel of NFL scouts and SN writers and editors.
Named Rookie of the Year and All-Pro by Pro Football Weekly and Pro Football Writers Association

•Suh was honored with the Pro Football Weekly/PFWA Rookie of the Year and was placed on the All-Pro Team. He was the only rookie named All-Pro by Pro Football Weekly/PFWA. Suh was also named to the All-Rookie Team.
•Pro Football Weekly/PFWA annual awards are selected by Pro Football Weekly editors and contributors along with members of the Professional Football Writers Association.
Suh Named to 2011 Pro Bowl

•Suh, voted as a starter for the NFC squad, became the first Lions’ rookie to be named to the Pro Bowl since RB Barry Sanders in 1990. He is also the first Lions’ rookie defensive player to be named to the Pro Bowl since DE Al “Bubba” Baker in 1979.
•Suh is the sixth player amongst Lions’ defensive tackles named to the Pro Bowl and the first ever to do so as a rookie.
•Suh is also the 10th rookie in team history named to the Pro Bowl and fourth Lions’ rookie defensive player.
•Pro Bowl is voted on by fans (one-third), coaches (one-third) and players (one-third).
ROOKIE HIGHLIGHTS
During Suh’s first NFL season, he put together one of the most impressive rookie campaigns ever by a defensive tackle in League history. He started all 16 games and recorded a team-high 10.0 sacks along with 66 tackles. In addition, Suh registered three pass defenses, one interception (vs. St. Louis 10/10), one fumble recovery (returned for a 17-yard touchdown) vs. Washington (10/31) and one forced fumble. Suh led all rookies and defensive tackles with 10.0 sacks, and passed DE Tracy Scroggins (7.5 in 1992) for the most sacks by a rookie in a season since sacks became official in 1982.

With 10.0 sacks, Suh became only the second rookie defensive tackle (10.5 by 49ers Dana Stubblefield in 1993) to ever record 10.0 since sacks became official in 1982. His rookie sack tally is the third-most by a Lions defensive tackle (since 1982), and Suh is just the third Lions’ defensive tackle to reach 10.0 in a season (DT Doug English 13.0 in 1983 and DT Henry Thomas 10.5 in 1995).

In the month of October, Suh was named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month, finishing with 14 tackles, 4.5 sacks (29.5 yards lost), one interception, one pass defense and a 17-yard fumble return for a touchdown. Suh’s 4.5 sacks in October are the most for the month by a Lions’ rookie since sacks became official in 1982. They are the fifth-most among all Lions’ defensive players for October and the second-most (DT Doug English in 1983) among Lions’ defensive tackles. With 4.5 sacks in October, Suh became the first rookie defensive tackle to record 4.5 sacks in October since Jacksonville DT John Henderson had 5.0 in 2002. He also became the first defensive tackle in the NFL to collect 4.5 sacks during October since Tampa Bay DT Warren Sapp had 5.0 in 2005.

Suh’s first career interception occurred in the Lions’ 44-6 win vs. St. Louis (10/10) when he tipped Rams QB Sam Bradford’s pass at the line of scrimmage and plucked the ball out of the air in the fourth quarter. He then returned the interception 20 yards to set up a Lions’ field goal. His interception against the Rams was the first interception by a Lions’ rookie defensive lineman since DT Thurman McGraw intercepted a pass vs. the Los Angeles Rams October 15, 1950. Suh is also the first rookie defensive tackle to register an interception since Falcons rookie DT Trey Lewis had one at Tennessee, October 7, 2007.

In the team’s 37-25 win vs. Washington (10/31), Suh scored his first career touchdown on a fumble return (17 yards) in the fourth quarter against the Redskins. He had a career-high 2.0 sacks, along with five tackles (4 solo). Suh became the first rookie to record 2.0 sacks in a game since DE Kalimba Edwards at Arizona, December 8, 2002. He is the first Lions’ rookie defensive tackle to record two sacks in a game since sacks became an official statistic in 1982. The 17-yard fumble return touchdown was the first by a Lions’ rookie defensive lineman since Bob Bell (25 yards) at Green Bay, November 1, 1971.

Admin
Admin

https://indbeat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down